Friday, April 18, 2014

Wraithsong by E.J. Squires

Title:"Wraithsong: Desirable Creatures Series - Book I" 


Author's description:

When Sonia was eight, she took a sip of her friend’s drink, causing her friend to do everything Sonia asked. Ten years later, Sonia is finally about to learn why; she is a Huldra, a powerful being who can control humans and appropriate their virtues. Anthony is mysterious and handsome, and Sonia is immediately drawn to him. While on a date, Anthony tells Sonia that he is one of her kind. He also tells her that her mom has been kidnapped and that he was sent to abduct Sonia—though he claims he has had a change of heart and wants to help her. But how can Sonia trust him when his mom turns out to be the kidnapper, her intention to take over the Huldra Dynasty? Against her better judgment, Sonia finds herself falling for Anthony. Without anyone else to turn to, Sonia accepts Anthony’s help and travels with him to Wraithsong Island to find her mom and prevent the takeover of the Huldra Dynasty. 

Suspenseful, passionate and gripping, E. J. Squires’s contemporary paranormal YA romance brings you on a highly entertaining adventure that you will want to continue on forever.


My official review:

Title & Genre

Even before we start reading this book, the mysterious title ”Wraithsong” lets us in on what we are going to get: a work full of mystery and suspense. The subtitle – “Desirable Creatures Series” – on the other hand, hints to the romantic side of the book. Indeed, the novel fits perfectly in the genre contemporary paranormal young adult romance.


Point of view

The story is written in first person, from the main character’s – Sonia – point of view. This technique, even if it sounds minimalistic, keeps the suspense going throughout the story, as you can only see and feel what Sonia does, and you learn about the developments of the story as she does. Thus, you will have plenty of elements of surprise and little clues as to predict what happens next.


Characters

E.J. Squires chose as a source of inspiration for her characters the Norse mythology, giving meanings that go beyond the surface of the story to their names and actions. Her characters are three-dimensional, carefully delineated. They are not static, but they develop and grow up in front of your eyes, especially the heroine, Sonia. Sonia and Anthony are strong, complex characters, lovable on their own, but also as a couple. I find myself wishing for them to stay together, and thinking of how they might overcome the obstacles in their way. I could easily relate to Sonia, a teenager facing problems that overwhelm her.


Theme

I could say that in “Wraithsong” we are dealing with traditional and familiar themes: darkness and light, the battle between good and evil, the loss of innocence with the coming of age, but these themes are developed in an original way, keeping you guessing until the end who are “the good guys” and “the bad guys.”


Setting

What struck me all through the book are the settings. The author pays great attention to them, describing everything in minute details. I could probably draw or paint (if I had any talent) all of the rooms that have served as settings, and I would recognize the furniture described there if I saw it in a friend’s house. These details give you the feeling of being there, at the same time as the characters, and make the story seem more “real”.


Recommendation

As a conclusion, I absolutely, definitely and certainly loved this book. I recommend it to teens and adults that are ready to start an engaging and adventurous reading. But I have to warn you: it will leave you wanting for more!


My Twist:

Favorite character: Anthony, the young sexy hero, with strong legs and firm behind, with broad shoulders and tanned six-pack; oh, the things that I would do to Anthony if I could get my hands on him! (Please don't tell my husband I just said that!)
Favorite quote: "Who does this guy think he is? He seems like a gardener from hell." 
Favorite name: Anthony, of course; I like everything about Anthony.

Least favorite character: Olaf - that guy just gives me the creeps.
Least favorite quotes: "algebra" - I really don't like algebra.
                              "You'll be down on your knees a lot..." - what the??? Behave yourself, Anthony, you've just met the girl!  
Least favorite name: Skuld - I kept forgetting all through the book that it was a woman; it sounds so... masculine. 

Aspirin of the book: 
"Remain honest and faithful in love and devoted to the tried and true friend."



No comments:

Post a Comment